Friday, September 24, 2010

BREAKING NEWS: REALLY GOOD PIZZA

Finally a restaurant has opened in Tegucigalpa with really good pizza!!  Piola (***/$$, tel. 243.0645/42, www.piola.it) recently opened at the new Novo Centro mall behind Los Proceres.  It's a franchise restaurant with locations in the USA and several Latin American countries.  I won't hold being a franchise against it in this case since the quality of the pizza more than compensates.  The key here is that the restaurant has a authentic wood burning pizza oven and the pizza's quality reflects it.  The crusts are thin and slightly charred, and the ingredients are all premium quality.  The list of pizza options is extensive.  I had a pizza with shrimp and mushrooms, and my children had one with artichokes, olives, and feta cheese.  Both were delicious.  The small pizzas (four slices) run in the L.180-230 range and the medium pizzas (six slices) are around L.300.  The menu also has pastas, etc., but really, this the place to come for pizza!  The service was good, and my only complaint is that I found the music a little too pulsating for my taste.

Piola's is now on my list of Don Godo's favorites.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the review! I am looking for better pizza in Honduras. Or we could go to Reginelli's in Uptown NOLA but that's a long trip for pizza.

Hannah said...

I agree about the music. And their chairs are SO uncomfortable - the backs are too low and you can't lean back - especially uncomfortable for a pregnant lady! ;) But yes, the pizza is AHmazing!

Have you been to La Casona near the ag school in El Zamorano? It also has awesome pizza!!

DON GODO said...

Laurie, I agree Reginelli's has good pizza. I like the location on Magazine St.

Hannah, Congrats again on the baby! I'll look forward to trying La Casona some day.

Los Lofchies said...

We have eaten there also and we think the pizza is great! The people watching is pretty entertaining too.

DON GODO said...

This restaurant is permanently closed.