Sunday, May 30, 2010

When will it stop?

Right now, I'm devastated, upset and mad. My wife just told me that the body of an acquaintance who had been kidnapped about a month ago was just found. His name was Peter. He was a really nice guy... friendly, intelligent, honest. He worked hard as a farmer. He was also the father of five children and a husband.

The family paid the ransom about a week ago, and everyone had been praying for his release...Then today, the news came that everyone was dreading...His body had been found...

When will it stop? This culture of violence is destroying the fabric of Honduran society. Now there are five more traumatized children without a loving father and a wife without her partner. It's so senseless, why? The kidnappers got the money they wanted so why kill him?

I'm not the type of person that hates, but I hate the people that did this...I hope their souls burn in hell for eternity...

Readers, I ask that you join with me in praying for Peter's family during this difficult period, and that you also pray for an end to the violence that plagues Honduras.

Mr. Lobo, if by chance you read this, please do me a favor: Quit obsessing with bringing Mel Zelaya back to Honduras, instead obsess yourself with ending the rampant crime that is destroying this beautiful country.

7 comments:

La Gringa said...

I'm so sorry and couldn't agree more that the government needs to devote more attention to what is wrong with Honduras and less to international matters and certainly less to Zelaya.

Sure, international recognition is important. But Lobo has done what he can and it is time to move on. He was elected by Hondurans to run the country, not by foreign powers to do their bidding. He seems to have forgotten all of his promises.

Live Simply Love Strongly said...

This is scary and disturbing. It's awful that is happens at all, much more personally when it's someone you know. Was this man Honduran? Was he targeted because he had a lot of money, or does this happen to anyone they think the can get a few lempiras from? Just curious as to what the kidnapping risk these days in Honduras...Again, so sorry to hear of this. What a difficult thing for his family.

Anonymous said...

May he Rest In Peace.

Unknown said...

May he Rest in Peace.

Blue-Eyed Mystery said...

I will be praying for the family. I know that must be so hard. I'm sorry for your loss of a friend.

Unknown said...

My condolences to you and to the families affected. Indeed, we live in dangerous times. I am tired, too, of stories of violence, kidnapping and assaults. Just today I was at my neighborhood pulperia when the owner came out on the street, and told me to be very careful. I was only a block from my house, and he wanted me to go home, at nine in the morning.

DON GODO said...

Live Simply,
Peter was born in Honuduras of German parents who immigrated to Honduras prior to WWII. He was not rich in the 'cash flow' sense of the word, but he was well-to-do in that his family owned a large farm.

Fortunately, to date, Americans (an other foreigners) have not been targeted by kidnappers. Maybe they are afraid of FBI involvement in the cases, but let's hope it stays that way.

Just as an update, the autopsy showed that he was not directly killed by the kidnappers, but died as a result of a severe heart attack. I'm sure the heart attack came from the exteme stress of his ordeal, and is of no consolation to the family.