Monday, December 27, 2010

Los Jabones de Mis Hijas

This past September, I was in San Salvador for business.  Close to my hotel, I stumbled upon a jewel of a boutique, specializing in handmade soaps called, 'Los Jabones de Mis Hijas'.  It's located in the 'Zona Rosa', and is run by three sisters.  They have over 30 varieties of soaps available, all handmade by the sisters.  The soaps all cost $3.50 per 100 grs.  I  bought mango, honey and beewax, coffee, and rose.

If you're traveling to San Salvador, I highly recommend stopping in as the soaps make great gifts!  The quality is what you would expect to find in a specialty boutique in France or Spain.

My only question, why don't Honduran artisans make unique, quality products that travelers actually want to buy?

The blog their shop is:  www.losjabonesdemishijas.blogspot.com

Also, check out their Facebook page.

3 comments:

Live Simply Love Strongly said...

Ooo, thanks for the recommendation. Sounds like a great place. I have thought of making soap for my family's use, to avoid nasty chemicals that a lot of commercial soaps have, but with little ones, I haven't done it as you don't want them around when you are making it! When I down that way, I will have to make a stop there. Also, sounds like a good idea for a business. I'm sure some ladies in Honduras could make a great business venture of it!

La Gringa said...

A new small company on Roatan has done just that. But I often wonder the same thing. Most of the crap that I see made in Honduras is not of good quality and is so gaudily decorated that as much as I'd like to buy Honduran adornos for my house, I just never see anything in La Ceiba that I would really want. I bought one of those big painted roosters -- very cute, and not cheap at all -- but the tail broke off for no apparent reason within a week. I've bought some terra cotta pots that virtually just disintegrate because they are of such poor quality. All I can think is that they figure that the tourist won't be back so it doesn't matter.

-- Well, all that keeping in mind that I haven't been to Guamalito in SPS or Valle de Angeles in many years. I've been very disappointed that there are rarely any craft type stuff in the markets in La Ceiba.

DON GODO said...

Another thing I've often wondered about is that with all the orange orchards in northern Honduras, why doesn't someone produce 'orange blossom' honey. All the honey in Honduras is just plain old generic 'miel de abeja'. It seems to me that the beehives would help to pollinate the orange trees and make the farms more productive...and besides,'orange blossom' honey is just plain yummy.